Our client is a boutique but growing international tax advisory firm looking to hire an assistant manager or manager who has a solid background in US/UK private client tax. You will provide services to American expats living in the UK as well as handle UK taxes for non-dom taxpayers. These areas are significantly more complex than regular UK tax and are a very niche area of practice. Please only apply if you currently operate within this niche area.
The firm we are representing are easy-going in life but serious about their work, and are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic, and competent professional to assist the Partners and the wider team.
The successful candidate will work as part of their existing team of ten people, providing tax compliance services to their portfolio of clients. This will include, but is not limited to, reviewing of US and UK tax returns and associated papers. The role will be responsible for managing the ongoing relationship between the firm and their client base, from meetings to discuss client affairs to reviewing tax returns. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the workload of the portfolio throughout the compliance cycle and ensuring deadlines are met, while adhering to their high standards of customer service.
• Along with Partner and Senior Manager, responsible for maintaining a portfolio of private clients.
• Responsible for preparation of complex US Federal and State tax returns – delegating work where possible or necessary.
• Reviewing simple US Federal and State tax returns that have been prepared by Tax Associates and Tax Assistants, providing feedback and improvement points where required.
• Communicating directly with clients via email and phone, with a view to becoming the primary point of contact for long-term clients.
• Answering telephone and email queries from clients and other team members, and providing technical solutions to problems.
• Attending and leading client meetings to discuss new and ongoing work.
• Responsible for managing the year-end compliance process for existing clients.
• Managing work in progress and overall portfolio workflow; working with the rest of the team to ensure IRS and HMRC deadlines are met.
• Updating the Partner and Senior Manager on a regular basis as to the current workload of the team to ensure tasks are correctly prioritised and allocated.
• Undertaking risk assessment for any unusual or high-risk work and communicating with the Partner and Senior Manager to ensure this is managed appropriately.
• Developing client relationships to encourage referrals to the business.
• Involvement with consultancy and research projects on an ad-hoc basis.
• Continually maintaining and developing own technical knowledge and skills to ensure compliance with current tax legislation in UK and US jurisdictions.
• Mentoring colleagues to assist with their professional development
• Comprehensive US tax knowledge and experience of unsupervised preparation of complex US returns
• Comprehensive understanding of UK tax law and its interaction with US tax law; experience of unsupervised preparation of UK self-assessment tax returns.
• Previous experience of working at a Tax Associate level (or equivalent) for a minimum of four compliance cycles.
• Previous experience of successfully managing and developing own client portfolio, including meetings, direct correspondence with clients.
• Strong communication and presentation skills, including an excellent command of written and spoken English and experience of technical writing for non-professional audiences.
• Good eye for detail.
• Able to work accurately and independently to achieve deadlines.
• Strong organisational skills
• Enrolled Agent and ATT/CTA qualified