The Birmingham Tax team has enjoyed significant growth over the last 3 years, with Income and Gross Profit Margin growing in excess of 40% for each of the last two years. We are therefore looking for a strong and conscientious Senior Manager to support the Partner and Director Team in meeting its continued growth strategy targets.
As a Senior Manager within the Birmingham office your role will be exclusively advisory focussed. You will work closely with the Partner and Director team to deliver a high quality tax service to entrepreneurial businesses and private clients at all times.
Your primary focus will be to project manage complex advisory projects, whilst also managing existing client relationships and actively pursuing new opportunities, thus helping to generate advisory work from new clients.
Rather than being provided with a portfolio of clients, you will assist the Partner and Director team to actively pursue new relationships with directors and shareholders of owner managed and family businesses. Typically, you will be advising Privately Owned Businesses and high net worth individuals on a whole range of issues, including (but not exclusively) group reorganisations/demergers, incorporations, succession planning, how to tax efficiently structure commercial transactions, arranging clients affairs to minimise inheritance tax.
• Project manage complex advisory projects in respect of Privately Owned and Family businesses, and ensure that deadlines are met;
• Build strong relationships with clients and to guide them through complex transactions, which can at times be very stressful and emotional for them;
• Maintaining a strong technical knowledge in respect of all taxes relevant to Privately Owned Business transactions. Preferably a strong knowledge of all of the following taxes: corporation tax, income tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax and stamp duty.
• Sharing knowledge with more junior (and senior) members of the team in and assisting more junior members of the team in their research to ensure that our tax advice is technically accurate,
• Reviewing technical analysis prepared by more junior members of the team on new and existing legislation, including technical analysis on the impact that this may have on clients;
• Reviewing tax advisory letters, proposals, memos and reports prepared by more junior members of the team;
• Reviewing statutory and non-statutory clearances in respect of transactional work;
• Liaising with intermediaries (being banks, lawyers or financial advisors), and colleagues throughout advisory engagements;
• Help develop the business and seek new opportunities both within Mazars and externally by maintaining a strong network of contacts and referrers of work;
• Managing WIP, debtors and fees;
• Being actively involved in the development and progression of more junior members of the team;
• Entrepreneurial business tax focus, with experience in advisory transactions such as: group reorganisations, demergers, incorporations, succession planning, commercial transactions and arranging clients affairs to minimise inheritance tax
• A strong technical knowledge of all taxes in respect of transactional work for the following taxes: corporation tax, income tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax and stamp duty
• Strong client handling skills and the ability to develop good relationships with clients and other professionals;
• The individual would be expected to delegate efficiently, review work and have the ability to encourage and foster development of the more junior members of the team;
• Equally the individual will need to be able to work collaboratively with the Partner/Director team in the continued growth of the business, and have a strong network of intermediaries.
• Excellent communication skills both oral and written;
• Adaptable, organised with a commercial approach;
• Ability and/or willingness to research complex technical issues;
• Ability to exercise judgement;
• Ability to help generate creative solutions to problems;
• Ability to demonstrate an understanding of risk management issues;